Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Forwards & Backwards

Dad was moved to ward 50 late yesterday afternoon. The nurse I spoke to said that he was a bit down so I asked if there was a 'phone he could use and was told that there was only a public 'phone and with the leg problem he would have to be wheeled there and they would see what they could do that evening - there was no call. They are going to see if they can manage it this afternoon. I can't believe somebody can be so far from home and has to remain isolated because they can't get to a 'phone themselves.

Before Dad went down to Aberdeen I spoke with his doctor about the source of the graft veins as I was concerned because his leg was was covered in grafted skin. I was told not to worry there were plenty of other sites they could use, so on Sunday we were disappointed to learn that the grafted skin had been opened up. However last night's news just about floored us, they have also taken a vein from his stump which means that he can't wear his artificial leg and so wont be able to get around. It's unlikely he will be able to wear it for several weeks and as the top is made to fit him specifically he'll probably have to have anew one made and then get used to that one. He's just spent nine months getting used to this one. No wonder he's down.

The nurse thought it would be Monday or Tuesday before he is transferred to Raigmore so I think I'll go down on Friday with Mam.

Apart from these traumas they say he is getting on well.

Hopefully we'll hear from Dad this afternoon and I'll have the news straight from the horses mouth next time.

Love Lala

No comments: